Wednesday lacks marquee pitching names — unless you consider Jordan Zimmermann, Hisashi Iwakuma, and Homer Bailey “marquee”…OK, Iwakuma might be — but as always I have some thoughts on the day’s action!
- The Tigers lost Anibal Sanchez and now maybe Justin Verlander to injury. Buck Farmer gets the call on Wednesday. Who’s Farmer? Aside from having one of the better names in baseball, he also has a pretty lively fastball and a few average or better secondary offerings (slider and change-up). ScoutingBook.com touts his change-up as being “very good” and his minor league peripherals give me optimism he could settle in as a major league number 3 or 4 pitcher. He’s demonstrated very good command this season, which definitely helps. The Pirates are a moderately tough draw despite Andrew McCutchen’s absense, but I’d start Farmer in this spot. Check out some Farmer video here.
- Michael Pineda is back! We’ll see how well he can pitch without the pine tar. While the numbers say he’s a slightly above average option @BAL, the numbers don’t exactly factor in that it’s Pineda we’re talking about. I don’t trust him. I want to see a start first.
- Allen Webster finally had a good start last time out against the Angels. I’m calling shenanigans.
For Tuesday’s rankings, click here.
For an explanation of how these rankings were calculated, click here.
These rankings account for atmospheric conditions with data provided by BaseballVMI.com.
While Park Factors account for the yearly average air density at a ballpark, they don’t account for game-by-game changes, which BaseballVMI.com tracks. With this data, our rankings are now more accurate than ever! If you’re interested in exploring what BaseballVMI.com can do for your fantasy roster, check out their fantasy package.
How to Read These Rankings
- Stmr: Projected ROS ERA from Steamer
- Rating: 100 is average and higher is better
- IP/K/ERA/WHIP: Projected stats for the game in question
- W%/L%: Likelihood of the SP picking up a Win or Loss
- PTS: Projected points total in points leagues
Trouble viewing the embedded rankings? Click here to see them!