Yesterday I teased my usual “More Best Values to be posted by 5:30 pm EST!” and then never delivered on my promise. There were also a couple reader comments that I never responded to. This wasn’t for lack of care, but rather due to lack of internet! My connection cut out yesterday for the entire afternoon and evening, leaving me unable to update the post, respond to your comments, or even officially submit a lineup in one of DraftKings’ daily contests. Sorry!
Yesterday I suggested Adam Lind, a Brewers stack, and James Shields. Lind didn’t do a ton, the Brewers stack lit it up (but would have been better with Ryan Braun) and Shields didn’t live up to his potential. That’s about all the feedback on yesterday that I can provide, but we can still look forward to Tuesday’s contests.
Today, as with most days recently, we have some weather concerns. NYY@DET lists a 50% chance of rain with scattered storms in the area, and there are storms in three other cities, but thankfully those stadiums all have retractable roofs! Without further ado, let’s get to Tuesday’s picks.
Click here for our FAQ and disclaimer
Tuesday’s Official DraftKings Lineup
Note: Lineup subject to change due to weather and released MLB lineups. Check back before contest lineups lock for our final lineup.
- C: Buster Posey (SF) vs. J. De La Rosa (COL) — $4,200
- 1B: Adrian Gonzalez (LAD) @ T. Cahill (ARI) — $3,600
- 2B: Hidden
- 3B: Pablo Sandoval (SF) vs. J. De La Rosa (COL) — $3,900
- SS: Dee Gordon (LAD) @ T. Cahill (ARI) — $4,400
- OF: Hunter Pence (SF) vs. J. De La Rosa (COL) — $4,600
- OF: Angel Pagan (SF) vs. J. De La Rosa (COL) — $3,800
- OF: Hidden
- SP: Matt Shoemaker (LAA) vs. N. Eovaldi (MIA) — $8,200
- SP: Hidden
Shoemaker has had a great turnaround after a slow start to his MLB career. He’s allowed 2 ER or fewer in eight of his last nine starts with 49 K over that span. That’s a 180 K pace over a full season. Recently he’s shut down the Red Sox, the Rangers, the Dodgers, the Rays, the Tigers, and the Astros, most of which are at least above average offenses. Next up are the Marlins, probably the worst offense of that bunch. Shoemaker can have problems with homers, though, and Giancarlo Stanton and Marcell Ozuna have some serious pop. Whether he controls them will dictate how this start goes.
I really like the Giants in their matchup tonight against Jorge De La Rosa. Colorado’s lefty rarely implodes — he’s allowed more than 4 ER in just four starts this season and has done it just twice since April 11 — and this game will be played in San Francisco so in picking so many Giants we assume a large amount of risk, but Posey, Pence, and Sandoval have been on fire and have combined to post good numbers against De La Rosa. Toss in Pagan, and the quartet has gone 32-for-102 (.314) with 12 doubles, 3 HR, 13 BB, and just 11 K.
LA’s Gonzalez is a great value tonight at just $3.6K. He’ll face Trevor Cahill, who’s actually turned in four very good starts in a row, but Gonzalez is slashing .458/.500/.833 in a not-so-insignificant 27 PA against Cahill, not to mention his five hits across the last two games. Gordon will bat ahead of A-Gon and has three steals in nine plate appearances versus Cahill with six hits (including two triples) in his last three games. Gordon is a boom-or-bust player, though.
Safe Matchups for H2H and Double-Up Play
If you only need to finish in the top 50%, safer plays are the way to go.
- C: Russell Martin (PIT) vs. L. Lynn (STL) — $3,900
- C: Miguel Montero (ARI) vs. R. Hernandez (LAD) — $3,700
- 1B: Jose Abreu (CHW) vs. T. House (CLE) — $5,400
- 1B: Freddie Freeman (ATL) @ D. Gee (NYM) — $4,700
- 2B: Robinson Cano (SEA) vs. N. Martinez (TEX) — $5,200
- 2B: Brian Dozier (MIN) @ D. Duffy (KC) — $4,500
- 3B: Evan Longoria (TB) @ W. Chen (BAL) — $4,500
- 3B: Kyle Seager (SEA) vs. N. Martinez (TEX) — $4,500
- SS: Danny Santana (MIN) @ D. Duffy (KC) — $4,600
- SS: Andrelton Simmons (ATL) @ D. Gee (NYM) — $3,700
- OF: Logan Morrison (SEA) vs. N. Martinez (TEX) — $3,700
- OF: Jason Heyward (ATL) @ D. Gee (NYM) — $4,600
- OF: Starling Marte (PIT) vs. L. Lynn (STL) — $4,700
- OF: Michael Morse (SF) vs. J. De La Rosa (COL) — $4,200
- OF: Yoenis Cespedes (BOS) @ R. Dickey (TOR) — $4,500
- SP: Alex Wood (ATL) @ D. Gee (NYM) — $8,200
- SP: Madison Bumgarner (SF) vs. J. De La Rosa (COL) — $10,000
High-Risk, High-Upside Matchups for Multi-Player Play
You don’t win the big bucks without hitting on a few lottery ticket picks!
- C: Evan Gattis (ATL) @ D. Gee (NYM) — $3,900
- C: Derek Norris (OAK) @ D. Keuchel (HOU) — $3,600
- 1B: Darin Ruf (PHI) vs. G. Gonzalez (WAS) — $2,600
- 1B: Allen Craig (BOS) @ R. Dickey (TOR) — $2,800
- 2B: Emilio Bonifacio (ATL) @ D. Gee (NYM) — $3,300
- 2B: Logan Forsythe (TB) @ W. Chen (BAL) — $2,700
- 3B: Will Middlebrooks (BOS) @ R. Dickey (TOR) — $2,500
- 3B: Nick Castellanos (DET) vs. B. McCarthy (NYY) — $3,100
- SS: Mookie Betts (BOS) @ R. Dickey (TOR) — $2,500
- SS: Carlos Sanchez (CHW) vs. T. House (CLE) — $2,500
- OF: Wil Myers (TB) @ W. Chen (BAL) — $4,200
- OF: Avisail Garcia (CHW) vs. T. House (CLE) — $4,300
- OF: Scott Hairston (WAS) @ C. Hamels (PHI) — $1,900
- OF: Josh Harrison (PIT) vs. L. Lynn (STL) — $3,800
- OF: Travis Snider (PIT) vs. L. Lynn (STL) — $3,000
- SP: Jose Quintana (CHW) vs. T. House (CLE) — $8,000
- SP: Rubby de la Rosa (BOS) @ R. Dickey (TOR) — $5,800