In an annoyingly short slate of late games to choose from, somehow my super-stack of Braves set itself somewhat apart. Freddie Freeman, Phil Gosselin, Chris Johnson, and Justin Upton scored 9+ points apiece, and Evan Gattis and B.J. Upton chipped in another 10. Matt Shoemaker was the story, though, pitching a one-hitter against Boston the day after the lost Garrett Richards for 6-9 months, and Tyson Ross was worth his price tag even when matched up against Clayton Kershaw. Overall, this lineup scored 129.35 points and finished 1,060th-of-5,704 in the $10,000 Moonshot, besting 81.5% of all other entries.
As guessed by a loyal reader, my three hidden players were Billy Hamilton (0.00 points), B.J. Upton (6.00 points), and Shoemaker (37.45 points).
Thursday’s Official Lineup (click to enlarge)
Today it’s back to a full slate, minus one early game (BAL@CHC). There are some questionable weather systems along the east coast and the midwest, causing reports of scattered thunderstorms for the following games: STL@PHI, SF@WAS, and ATL@CIN. None of these look overly concerning as of this writing (5:00 am EST), so they won’t hinder my selections. Besides, there’s a ton of offense to choose from today!
Click here for our FAQ and disclaimer
Friday’s Official DraftKings Lineup
Note: Lineup subject to change due to weather and released MLB lineups. Check back before contest lineups lock for our final lineup.
- C: Jonathan Lucroy (MIL) vs. J. Locke (PIT) — $4,700
- 1B: Matt Adams (STL) @ K. Kendrick (PHI) — $3,900
- 2B: Matt Carpenter (STL) @ K. Kendrick (PHI) — $4,500
- 3B: Hidden
- SS: Khris Negron (CIN) vs. M. Minor (ATL) — $3,200
- OF: Carlos Gomez (MIL) vs. J. Locke (PIT) — $5,000
- OF: Jon Jay (STL) @ K. Kendrick (PHI) — $3,800
- OF: Hidden
- SP: Doug Fister (WAS) vs. T. Hudson (SF) — $9,100
- SP: Hidden
I didn’t want to pay for Felix Hernandez, Adam Wainwright doesn’t look like his normal self, Sonny Gray is regressing and facing the Angels, and I’m not a fan of Mat Latos. That pretty much leaves Fister. While the ERA estimators are in the 3.50-4.00 range for Fister, he’s still getting it done every time out and that means a lot. The Nationals themselves have won 10 in a row, Fister has walked just one batter in his last three starts, and over his last 10 he’s averaged 19.70 points. San Francisco has some sluggers but they’re a below average offense overall.
The left-handed Jeff Locke is facing the Brewers, so anyone who’s read this post before probably knows I’m going to have some Brewers in my lineup. I’m displaying two above but I like Gomez, Lucroy, Khris Davis, Aramis Ramirez, Ryan Braun, and maybe even Rickie Weeks. Gomez and Lucroy are probably the best options today at their respective positions.
Kyle Kendrick is known for his struggles against left-handed batters and St. Louis’ lineup is stacked with lefties at the top. Carpenter is slashing .267/.350/440 over his last 10 games while averaging 8.9 points, Adams is undervalued on a daily basis because of his lack of power but he’s reliable and has averaged 7.9 points over his last 10, and Jay is currently on fire having posted 11+ points in six of his last 10 games. Better yet, all of these guys have good numbers against Kendrick and while I normally am wary of BvP data, all data for these guys against Kendrick comes in recent seasons. Combined, they’re 13-for-35 (.371) with a homer and, best of all, just four strikeouts. Jay in particular looks to be a great pick today because of his price, recent play, and numbers against Kendrick.
I’m not sure if Negron will play today against the left-handed Mike Minor, but I think he’ll be in there. If he’s not, Zack Cozart definitely will be and both guys cost the same ($3.2K). Negron has hit left-handers very well in limited exposure this year (.417, 3 HR, 8 RBI in 24 AB), and Cozart has hit Minor well (4-f0r-10, 2 HR, triple). In the end, it’s also Minor, who is very exploitable due to his hittability this season and fly ball ways.
Safe Matchups for H2H and Double-Up Play
If you only need to finish in the top 50%, safer plays are the way to go.
- C: Wilson Ramos (WAS) vs. T. Hudson (SF) — $3,800
- C: Russell Martin (PIT) @ Y. Gallardo (MIL) — $3,900
- 1B: Adam LaRoche (WAS) vs. T. Hudson (SF) — $4,700
- 1B: Freddie Freeman (ATL) @ M. Latos (CIN) — $4,800
- 2B: Jason Kipnis (CLE) vs. B. Peacock (HOU) — $4,000
- 2B: Robinson Cano (SEA) @ J. Kelly (BOS) — $5,200
- 3B: Aramis Ramirez (MIL) vs. J. Locke (PIT) — $4,000
- 3B: Anthony Rendon (WAS) vs. T. Hudson (SF) – $4,400
- SS: Ian Desmond (WAS) vs. T. Hudson (SF) — $4,300
- SS: Jhonny Peralta (STL) @ K. Kendrick (PHI) — $4,000
- OF: Michael Brantley (CLE) vs. B. Peacock (HOU) — $4,900
- OF: Jason Heyward (ATL) @ M. Latos (CIN) — $4,300
- OF: Khris Davis (MIL) vs. J. Locke (PIT) — $3,900
- OF: Giancarlo Stanton (MIA) @ F. Morales (COL) — $5,700
- OF: Jayson Werth (WAS) vs. T. Hudson (SF) — $4,100
- SP: Felix Hernandez (SEA) @ J. Kelly (BOS) — $12,400
- SP: Yovani Gallardo (MIL) vs. J. Locke (PIT) — $8,100
High-Risk, High-Upside Matchups for Multi-Player Play
You don’t win the big bucks without hitting on a few lottery ticket picks!
- C: Francisco Cervelli (NYY) vs. J. Danks (CHW) — $3,300
- C: Devin Mesoraco (CIN) vs. M. Minor (ATL) — $4,000
- 1B: Lucas Duda (NYM) @ D. Haren (LAD) — $3,900
- 1B: Nate Freiman (OAK) vs. H. Santiago (LAA) — $3,000
- 2B: Rickie Weeks (MIL) vs. J. Locke (PIT) — $2,900
- 2B: Martin Prado (NYY) vs. J. Danks (CHW) — $3,600
- 3B: Danny Valencia (TOR) vs. D. Smyly (TB) — $2,500
- 3B: Carlos Santana (CLE) vs. B. Peacock (HOU) — $4,200
- SS: Zach Walters (CLE) vs. B. Peacock (HOU) — $2,300
- SS: Zack Cozart (CIN) vs. M. Minor (ATL) — $3,200
- OF: Josh Harrison (PIT) @ Y. Gallardo (MIL) — $3,900
- OF: Matt Kemp (LAA) vs. J. Niese (NYM) — $4,000
- OF: Marcell Ozuna (MIA) @ F. Morales (COL) — $4,200
- OF: Oscar Taveras (STL) @ K. Kendrick (PHI) — $2,500
- OF: Logan Morrison (SEA) @ J. Kelly (BOS) — $3,500
- SP: Yordano Ventura (KC) @ C. Lewis (TEX) — $7,100
- SP: Carlos Carrasco (CLE) vs. B. Peacock (HOU) –$6,600
- SP: Shane Greene (NYY) vs. J. Danks (CHW) — $7,400
- SP: Jonathon Niese (NYM) @ D. Haren (LAD) — $6,800