Yesterday was a successful day for Team BaseballProf. Weather and lineup releases forced us to make several late changes to our Official DraftStreet Lineup, but in the end we scored 61.25 points, finished 106th-of-1,100 in the $5,000 guaranteed contest, and won all of our double-ups. No one was great (except Wilin Rosario) but everyone contributed (even though Justin Upton left the game after his first at-bat).
Yesterday’s lineup (left) compared to the contest champ (right) — Click to enlarge
Tonight we have weather concerns with a likely delay/cancellation with the CHC@PIT game, and weather mars a few other games, most notably the LAD@CIN game.
Stay tuned for any updates/changes , but without further ado, today’s picks!
Click here to start drafting your teams on DraftStreet!
Click here for our FAQ and disclaimer.
Wednesday’s Official DraftStreet Lineup
Note: Lineup subject to change due to weather and released MLB lineups. Check back before contest lineups lock.
- C: Yadier Molina (STL) @ E. Bedard (TB) — $5,091
- 1B: Albert Pujols (LAA) vs. T. Milone (OAK) — $5,772
- 2B: Howie Kendrick (LAA) vs. T. Milone (OAK) — $5,839
- 3B: Hidden
SS: Zack Cozart (CIN) vs. H. Ryu (LAD) — $3,219
SS: Eugenio Suarez (DET) @ J. Danks (CHW) — $4,545
- OF: Mike Trout (LAA) vs. T. Milone (OAK) — $8,736
- OF: Josh Hamilton (LAA) vs. T. Milone (OAK) — $6,282
OF: Daniel Nava (BOS) @ W. Chen (BAL) — $4,090OF: Randal Grichuk (STL) @ E. Bedard (TB) — $3,484
- UT: Hidden
- SP: Yu Darvish (TEX) vs. J. Turner (MIA) — $26,241
- SP: Cole Hamels (PHI) vs. T. Ross (SD) — $19,679
- P: Hidden
I’m not overly enamored with many of the mid-priced SP today, so I’ll pay the price for premier pitchers in great matchups and then roll the dice with a very cost-efficient pitcher in my P slot. Darvish is facing the Marlins and Hamels is facing the Padres. There’s not much analysis needed here.
Molina has been very frustrating to own lately, but he has great career numbers against Erik Bedard — 6-for-11, 3 doubles, 2 HR — and Bedard is prone to homers because of his fly ball tendencies.
Tommy Milone is a great value pitcher when pitching at home. Tonight he’s on the road against an Angels offense that has had a lot of success against him. Better yet, the Angels sluggers in my lineup are universally affordable right now, even Trout who can be had for under $9K! Trout, Pujols, Kendrick, and Hamilton all have 10+ point potential today. I expect this group to score nearly 30 points (or more).
Weather could hinder my Cozart selection, which is almost purely a cost-saving measure. At the very least Cozart doesn’t strike out often.
Update: Indeed, weather in Cincinnati caused me enough to concern to upgrade to Detroit’s Suarez. He’ll likely bat ninth, which I don’t like, but he demonstrated solid K rates and great BB rates in the minors, and in the last three years he’s batted .325 (2012), .280 (2013), and .388 (2014) against LHP (all in the minors). That .388 mark this year also comes with 8 HR in just 80 AB.
Nava is cheap and has rebounded over the last week or two after getting recalled from AAA. He was a very effective player last season so I’m inclined to believe his recent lukewarm streak is legit. He’s also hit Wei-Yin Chen well for his career — 7-for-13 with 1 HR.
Update: Nava didn’t crack Boston’s starting lineup, but Grichuk made St. Louis’ and he’ll be batting second. Like Suarez, he’s performed well against LHP in the minors and Bedard isn’t the toughest opponent. Even better, he’ll add another Cardinal to my lineup.
Safe Matchups for H2H and Double-Up Play
If you only need to finish in the top 50%, safer plays are the way to go.
- C: Wilson Ramos (WAS) @ M. Cain (SF) — $5,794
- C: Buster Posey (SF) vs. T. Roark (WAS) — $5,671
- 1B: Miguel Cabrera (DET) @ J. Danks (CHW) — $9,777
- 1B: Adam LaRoche (WAS) @ M. Cain (SF) — $5,646
- 2B: Dustin Pedroia (BOS) @ W. Chen (BAL) — $6,788
- 2B: Daniel Murphy (NYM) vs. W. Peralta (MIL) — $6,435
- 3B: Nick Castellanos (DET) @ J. Danks (CHW) — $5,682
- 3B: Ryan Zimmerman (WAS) @ M. Cain (SF) — $6,409
- SS: Erick Aybar (LAA) vs. T. Milone (OAK) — $5,232
- SS: Ian Desmond (WAS) @ M. Cain (SF) — $5,301
- OF: Austin Jackson (DET) @ J. Danks (CHW) — $5,951
- OF: Allen Craig (STL) @ E. Bedard (TB) — $5,412
- OF: Denard Span (WAS) @ M. Cain (SF) — $4,897
- OF: Matt Holliday (STL) @ E. Bedard (TB) — $5,345
- OF: Alex Rios (TEX) vs. J. Turner (MIA) — $6,677
- SP: Chris Young (SEA) vs. M. Tanaka (NYY) — $10,461
- SP: Masahiro Tanaka (NYY) @ C. Young (SEA) — $24,909
High-Risk, High-Upside Matchups for Multi-Player Play
You don’t win the big bucks without hitting on a few lottery ticket picks!
- C: Alex Avila (DET) @ J. Danks (CHW) — $4,116
- C: Brian McCann (NYY) @ C. Young (SEA) — $5,821
- 1B: Tommy Medica (SD) @ C. Hamels (PHI) — $4,695
- 1B: C.J. Cron (LAA) vs. T. Milone (OAK) — $5,295
- 2B: Gordon Beckham (CHW) vs. J. Verlander (DET) — $4,849
- 2B: Aaron Hill (ARI) @ D. Keuchel (HOU) — $3,991
- 3B: Todd Frazier (CIN) vs. H. Ryu (LAD) — $6,439 (Weather Warning)
- 3B: Pablo Sandoval (SF) vs. T. Roark (WAS) — $4,456
- SS: J.J. Hardy (BAL) vs. R. De La Rosa (BOS) — $3,807
- SS: Andrelton Simmons (ATL) @ T. Matzek (COL) — $4,359 (Weather Warning)
- OF: Dayan Viciedo (CHW) vs. J. Verlander (DET) –$4,240
- OF: Kevin Kiermaier (TB) vs. M. Wacha (STL) — $5,014
- OF: Cameron Maybin (SD) @ C. Hamels (PHI) — $5,192
- OF: Dexter Fowler (HOU) vs. B. McCarthy (ARI) — $5,687
- OF: Shin-Soo Choo (TEX) vs. J. Turner (MIA) — $6,004
- SP: Jacob deGrom (NYM) vs. W. Peralta (MIL) — $13,297
- SP: Tanner Roark (WAS) @ M. Cain (SF) — $14,605