As you may know, my level of creepiness is unmatched in the baseball community. I hit “Brent Musburger Status” recently when I went on a spree to secure an interview with a top prospect.
Like a mustachioed man driving a white van on Halloween, I succeeded in capturing my prey.
Chicago White Sox prospect Chris Beck was kind enough to take the time to answer my dumb questions.
Chris Beck was a 2nd round pick of the White Sox back in 2012. He signed for $600,000 out of Georgia Southern University and reached as high as Double-A this past season. Beck pitches to contact and looks to be a solid innings eater for the White Sox as soon as the 2014 season. He’s also armed with an awesome last name (see: author’s name) although his decision making has come into question recently by agreeing to do this interview.
1. How did it feel to get drafted? Did you have any idea where you would end up?
It was an amazing, kind of stressful day all in one. I guess I can answer part of question 5 here. I bulked up my junior year, lost some flexibility in my body and that cause me to throw different arm-slot wise, and I lost some velocity and some feel for pitches. Back to the answer, I had a great summer and fall pro day, so that had me thinking first round, and my junior year came and I had a bumpy year, and then supplemental first was my idea. Then again I didn’t know, but I was blessed and lucky enough to have the White Sox take a chance on me with the 76th pick. I was just in awe since this is something you dream about as you’re playing catch with Dad in the front yard.
2. I know you haven’t reached the majors just yet, but has anyone put any fantasy expectations on you?
Nope no fantasy predictions lol.
(Foul Paul! note: I’ll be the first. Let’s say 300 strikeouts and a sub 2.00-ERA. C’mon Chris, don’t let the sick children down.)
3. How far do you think you punt a football?
Hmmm, in the air I’m saying 40+ yards.
(Foul Paul! note: What?! That’s pretty bold. I might need some proof. Also, the Oakland Raiders might be giving you a call.)
4. Do you play fantasy baseball?
Nope don’t stay on the computer enough to even think about managing it.
(Foul Paul! note: Ughh, I hate you motivated people. What a chump, focused on REAL WORLD success. Lolz, I remember those days.)
5. I did some research on you (because I’m a creepy guy) and I found that a few sites said you needed to lose some weight.
Part A: Those are fighting words, do you remember the people who say negative things about your game?
Nope to not be criticized in this life would mean to stay inside and don’t do anything what so ever and some criticism is good for you,
Part B: How does it feel to be watched constantly at work?
Doesn’t bother me. I’m pretty good at blocking out surroundings.
Part C: Do you hate salads half as much as I do?
And I can’t agree with you there. I enjoy a good salad lol.
(Foul Paul! note: What kind of machinery ARE you?)
6. Explain the night you got drafted. I know you didn’t just sit down with a cup of tea and doze off to an episode of Matlock. Exactly HOW epic was that night? We talking Hangover Part 1, Part 2, or Part 3 status?
Actually nothing too crazy. I went out with my friends because they came down to be with me on draft day and I was our driver. Just spent time with them and my girlfriend. Sorry, nothing too exciting there.
(Foul Paul! note: Ughhhhh, I hate responsible people. If I got drafted, my night would probably end up in an O.J. Simpson-like police chase.)
7. Worst city to travel to?
Hmmm cities I can’t complain because they all have perks, but ballparks or playing environment? Possibly Potomac in the Carolina league.
(Foul Paul! note: Is that because your parents live there?)
8. Strangest thing a fan asked you to sign?
I think I signed a kid’s head once.
(Foul Paul! note: Hey, I have too. Although they didn’t ask me to. They were VERY upset.)
9. Your all time best baseball moment
My sophomore year at college in the conference tourney. Easily the best I’ve pitched in my life. Hopefully I can top this soon though!
(Foul Paul! note: I believe what you meant was “being featured on Foul Paul!”)
10. You and 4 other guy friends all have to use the bathroom, but there’s only a 1 person men’s room with a lock on the door. Do you use the women’s single person bathroom that’s next to it? No women are around and the lock on the door says “unoccupied.”
I’m knocking loudly on the women’s door and if no one answers I’m absolutely using it.
11. Will you give me your signing bonus?
Sorry man I need it, can’t do that.
12. How firm of a “No” was that?
Very firm lol.
13. If you only accomplish 1 thing during your career, what would you want it to be?
To make a difference in someone’s life with the help of baseball.
14. Can your new nickname be Chris “Dennis” Beckersley?
Sure when I grow my mustache out, and with long hair we resemble each other.
(Foul Paul! note: You’re welcome.)
15. Any idea how it will feel to make your major league debut?
Zero clue, hopefully I can tell you soon.
16. When I google myself, I have to go 15 pages down to finally find me, yet I still do it quite frequently. Be honest, how often do you google yourself?
Haha not too often man. Sometimes if I’m looking for a new picture for a profile.
(Foul Paul! note: If I did the same thing, I’d be a 50-year-old man with a plastic face.)
17. Is it true “I am a professional baseball player” is the best and most fullproof pickup line of all time?
Lol well I’ve been taken for a long time by my awesome girlfriend, but I do have some teammates that have used it.
(Foul Paul! note: The 2014 season hasn’t even started, yet White Sox minor leaguers are apparently ALREADY leading the league in scoring.)
18. Toughest batter you’ve ever faced?
Hmmm, this I don’t know. Been a lot of good hitters that have got me pretty good.
I want to thank Chris Beck for his time and his tolerance for letting me harass him. I really appreciate it. Here’s hoping Chris Beck becomes the most successful White Sox prospect since Michael Jordan! Go get em’ Chris!